Monday, January 21, 2008

MY STORY: Kip Cosson

1) Why did you choose to self-publish and what were your expectations?
I decided to self publish after sending my book to 20 publishers. I found a self published book is very hard to get their attention unless you have been published or have an agent, I have neither. When you believe in something and others do not, it's a great feeling to take control of your own destiny and make it happen.

2) Why did you select your specific publisher?
I found my publisher through another self publisher. I loved the quality of their book, so I knew what I would be getting without any surprises. Plus I like the idea of my book being printed in the USA and not China.

3) How is it going so far? Are you achieving your goals?
My book is doing amazing!! Ned Visits New York is in it's second printing. As of this writing I have sold over 3500 books. The reason I have done well with my book is I have built a customer base/following over the past 16 years. 90% of the books I have sold have been on my own.

4) What advice would you give a person who has completed their manuscript and is considering self-publishing?
I have learned the following as a 1st year self-publishing rookie:

1. Make sure you do your homework, have a plan and know how you are going to sell your book. (If you are depending on bookstores, you might want to rethink your plan.)

2. It takes a lot of time, phone calls, follow up calls and energy to sell one book to stores.

3. Self-publishing is no easy road and not for the weak; one should be prepared for a lot of rejection
and hard work.

4. Be aware of all the "self-publishing contests", they tend to play up on your ego and your money. (We all think our book is the greatest and will win.)

5. Making a network of self-publishing friends is invaluable.

6. If I had to do it over again, I would self-publish in a heart beat. Why? Because I like having total control of my book, my book can live as long as I want it to live, I have made more money from my book than I would have made through a publisher.

Thanks,
Kip Cosson
www.KipKids.com

No comments: