Friday, June 08, 2007

'My Story' -- J.A. Giunta


1) Why did you choose to self-publish and what were your expectations?

I had not written anything in 10 years, nor was I actively seeking representation. An acquaintance had mentioned self-publishing, and I thought it would be interesting to see some of my old work in print. Looking back, I can safely say I was naïve about a great many things. One of them was expecting to garner the interest of an agent/large publisher by self-publishing.


2) Why did you select your specific publisher?

I did some research, including an e-book that examines the contracts of numerous self-publishing outfits, and settled on Booklocker. I still think they are one of the best.


3) How is it going so far? Are you achieving your goals?

I believe a successfully self-published book sells around 1000 copies. To date, I’ve sold a few hundred. The only real goal I’ve set and achieved is nearly every person who has read my novel has enjoyed it. That has already exceeded my expectations.


4) What advice would you give a person who has completed their manuscript and is considering self-publishing?

Don’t. If you need copies of a small book that you sell at seminars, self-publishing might be a good route for you. For anyone who is serious about being a published author, fiction or otherwise, do not self-publish. I make it very clear to anyone I speak with, who read my novels, that I have no intention of self-publishing ever again once my current trilogy in completed. In my opinion, self-publishing a very small step above the vanity presses.




J.A. Giunta, Fantasy Author

2 comments:

veinglory said...

Just commenting to say that is some *really* nice cover art IMHO.

J.A. Giunta said...

The cover was done by Henning Ludvigsen, an incredible character artist. I was fortunate enough to become friends with him some time ago. I'm glad you like it!