Smashwords has signed a distribution agreement that will make qualifying Smashwords books available on the iPad. We're notifying you of this exciting development in advance because we want your books in the catalog. You must take steps now to ensure your books make it in time for inclusion in the Apple iPad's iBookstore's big launch April 3.
We've been working on this ever since the iPad was announced. Apple wants your books, and they appreciate the value that a distributor such as Smashwords can provide them.
What does it take to qualify? Please read carefully:
1. Your ebook must be accepted into the Premium Catalog by March 31. If you're not yet in the Premium Catalog, learn more at http://smashwords.com/distribution We can probably squeeze some stragglers in at the last minute, though please give yourself time to wrap things up early. If you miss the deadline, we get in you right after, because we'll probably do frequent ships to them.
2. Your book must be available in the EPUB format, and the book must pass the industry-standard EPUBCHECK quality check (this is why we have been upgrading our converters lately, and creating "scrubbers" to clean your files. The vast majority of Smashwords books now comply 100% with EPUBCHECK. If your book doesn't, we will let you know.).
3. Your book cover image must have a minimum height of 600 pixels. If you do not comply, we will let you know. We will soon make this a default requirement for inclusion in the Premium Catalog. To check your pixel dimensions, go to your book page, click on your book cover image (which blows it up to full size), and then right-mouse-click on the image and click "properties." If your image is too small, talk to your designer, obtain a larger image, and then upload it at Dashboard: Settings. Whatever you do, don't try to re-scale a small image by making it larger, because that will make it blurry.
4. You must *manually* opt-in to the Apple channel. The opt-in, when it's available (probably by March 31), will appear in your Dashboard's Channel Manager. While you wait for us to finish coding the opt-in in the next couple days, please complete the following steps below, all of which are required before you can opt-in.
5. Before you can opt in to the Apple channel, your Smashwords ebook must have a unique ISBN assigned to it. By "unique," I mean it must be different from the ISBN of any other book, including your print book if you have one.
6. Effective immediately, you can attach ISBNs to your books by visiting your Dashboard and clicking on the ISBN Manager - http://www.smashwords.com/dashboard/ISBNManager
This is exciting news. Now, I already have my own ISBNs assigned through Bowkers to my epub ebook formats; actually, Bowkers allows to to assign one ISBN to the ebook format and select the "multi-format" option, so you, as of right now, do not have to have a seperate ISBN for each ebook format. If you do not have ISBNs for your ebooks, Smashwords has an affordable option. There was more to this email, so please, visit the Smashwords site and read all their updated information about the changes to their Premium Distribution Channel.