Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Synthetic

Title: Synthetic: Rise of the Siren
Author: Shonna Wright
Genre: Sci fi
Price: $0.99
Point of Sale: Amazon Kindle, Nook
Reviewed by: Emily Veinglory

I stumbled across this book about a week a go when it was free for some reason.  (Not 'Amazon Prime' free, but actually free free).  It is 99c now and still a steal at the price.

Synthetic is a surprisingly complex, ornate, riotous, near-future steampunk romance adventure. You really have to read it to believe it.

Basically a women with amnesia is making synthetic lifeforms that look like mythical creatures and can live forever. She gets a chance at freedom when forced to help a rich old woman transform herself into the perfect woman.

But that is seriously only the beginning as a bizarre cast of human, animal and synthetic characters crawl through a bizarre castle-slash-catacomb-slash-film-set trying to uncover the schemes and crimes that brought them together. Motivations shift, violence and betrayal is all around.

There is so much going on in this story that it really is impossible to explain. 'Synthetic' is not perfect but its sheer exuberance and rococo inventiveness makes this a story I would heartily recommend to anyone.

9/10

2 comments:

DollHouse said...

I went into Doll House for a Sherri Hill dress and I had the worst time. The staff was rude and no help to me they made me feel as if I didn’t belong into their store. I well never return there and I am glad I didn’t purchase my dress from that store.

samali said...

Hello there. I discovered your website by means of Google whilst searching for a similar matter, your website came up. It seems to be great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back then.
best mobile app development company